Your college dorm is your home away from home. You’re going to spend a lot of time there and you may not have the luxury of going home on weekends if you’re out of state.
So why not making it your own? Why not spice things up a bit from the typical prison cell aesthetic that dorms come with? Why not have the best college dorm room on your floor?
In this post, I’m going to show you all the best college dorm room items that will step your game up and impress all your friends!
*This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Storage & Organization
This is a GREAT addition to your college dorm because sometimes you just don’t wanna stretch to get things on your desk, ya know?
This is another GREAT alternative to store your items at your bedside for your convenience!
Dorm room desks can be enough room for pretty much nothing. Especially if you have a lot of makeup and stuff like I do. This is a great way to save space and store more things on your desk!
Maybe you’re not into the whole rustic look with the wood, this is a great alternative. It’s also expandable so you can change to the shapes you like!
Now you don’t have to worry about folding your jeans/pants and pants. This has to be one of the best inventions ever! Time and space saver in one.
A flexible power strip
There’s a high chance (10/10) that you’re gonna need a power strip in your college dorm. This one offers more flexibility because it can adapt to the things around it for a better fit even in awkward spaces. It also helps to avoid bending your chargers!
This cart is a great option to store your stationery and textbooks/notebooks, or your snacks in your dorm room!
Bed lifts are a GREAT way to get more under bed storage for things like your mini fridge, plastic containers and more. These bed lifts are unique because they have outlets to help charge your electronics!
Tired of struggling to figure out where to put your hot hair tools? This is a great option that won’t take up too much counter space!
Dorm Room Decor
I have one of these on the edge of my bed behind my pillow. Comes in handy when I’m looking for something at night or when I’m reading/using my phone and I don’t want to get out of bed to turn the light on. Highly recommend!
You’ve probably seen the trend of hanging Christmas lights up on your walls but check out this cool alternative! If you want the effect of the lights but you also want to hang up some of your favorite memories with family and friends, this is your solution.
If you want to get the look with the hanging pictures on the Christmas lights you need a camera right? Even if you don’t, this is a great way to create memories with your friends in college.
This is a beautiful way to make your dorm POP and make it the envy of your roommates!
This is great for covering those ugly carpets in dorm rooms and giving your room a bit more personality.
I have an S hanging on my door which makes a great night light and decorative piece. You can view this item here.
What better way to hide those prison cell walls than with a beautiful tapestry like this one?
Vanity Makeup Mirror
The perfect way to do your makeup in style! You can check out this gorgeous mirror here.
Regular desk organizers do the job but this is so much more glamorous and it makes your desk look better!
I’ll let you in on a little secret: dorm beds are EXTREMELY uncomfortable!! Not having a mattress topper will be the worst thing you could do. This one is SUPER comfortable!
Throw pillows (especially ones like these) are a great addition to your room.
This will probably be the best investment you make, hands down! These are SOO comfortable!! I actually sleep with mine instead of my comforter. My advice: the bigger the better (I got the twin one at first and it kept coming off my feet because I’m tall).
Now you can save space in the shower with these convenient pockets! Check it out here.
The FUN Stuff!
Turn a boring night in into a fun night with this little guy! My roommate had one of these last semester and it made a world of a difference!
My roommate had one of these my junior year and I literally thought it was the best thing ever! It can turn a boring night in into an awesome movie night.
I’ve had a mini fridge since my freshman year and it has been soooo convenient! Sometimes you just don’t want to go to your kitchen to get food ya know? You can keep your cold snacks and leftovers in here so it’s convenient, or just to have some extra space in your dorm/apartment.
Make your coffee in style! Even if you’re not a coffee drinker, you can also use this for nifty things like heating up your water for noodles, or for tea and hot chocolate during the cold months.
So you might be thinking, why are bowls important? Here’s why – because if you have a kitchen in your dorm room you’ll definitely be needing these! The great thing about this one is that they collapse into each other so it saves a ton of space!
Corner Space Saving Dish Rack
This is a great way to dry your dishes after you wash them. It also helps save the counter space you already barely have. Check it out here.
A better way to charge your electronics without unplugging others! Check it out here.
If you prefer using your laptop in bed like me, this will work wonders for you!
P.S. As a student, you get a FREE 6 month trial of Amazon Prime with your student email! After your trial, you get 50% for Amazon Prime!
Take advantage of this offer!
You don’t want to miss out on these college posts!
- Everything You Ever Wanted to know about being a Successful in College – learn how I maintained a 4.0 GPA in college WITHOUT buying any textbooks, how I save money in college, and more!
- 14 Habits of Successful College Students that will Boost Your GPA – Learn the secrets and study habits that helped me maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout college!
- The Ultimate College Shopping & Move-In Day Guide – Are you moving into a college dorm but not sure where to start? Here is a list of things you actually need, the best way to shop, tips for packing, and how to successfully move in and out of your college dorm. Plus get a FREE Printable College Essentials Shopping List!
- The Hidden Truth about Why You Struggle with Time Management – Your best resource to avoid burning out in college. Sometimes we think our poor time management skills is our problem but it actually isn’t!
- 11 Insanely Easy Ways to Save Money in College – check out these tips on how to save money in college so you won’t be a broke college student! This includes ways to get cash back, reduce your expenses, and save on everyday purchases and travel!
- 30+ Dorm Room Storage Ideas to Maximize Your Space – How to overpack for college and make all your things fit in your tiny dorm room
- 3 Post-Grad Entrepreneurs Give Advice on Life After College – Get advice on what these 3 graduates wish they had done before they graduated so you don’t make the same mistakes + their experience post-college graduation