This post is all about school supplies for college that students can’t forget!
Back to school shopping is just around the corner! If you’re an early bird you probably already started.
When you go to the school supplies section of Target, Walmart, or wherever you shop, it can be very overwhelming. There’s a bunch of stuff everywhere and a lot of it looks very shiny and pretty and makes you think you need it all.
Well, this post is going to show you all the school supplies for college that you actually need.
I definitely used all of these throughout my 4 years at college.
Affiliate links are used ~ meaning that *at no cost to you* I may earn a commission if you make a purchase. Full disclosure can be found here.
School Supplies for College:
Who would’ve thought you’d need something to write with? Lol, just kidding.
You definitely need pens in college. I absolutely love these because they feel really smooth when you write.
- 3-pack of 8-inch scissors in gray/green/violet colors for cutting paper, cardboard, fabric, photos, and more
- Soft-grip handles for comfortable use; can be used left- or right-handed
- Titanium-fused blades remain sharp for 100,000+ cuts, surpassing stainless steel
- Durable stainless steel blade pivot for strength and smooth opening and closing
- Measures approximately 8.3 by 3.0 by 0.4 inches; keep out of reach of children
Definitely get at least 2 pairs of scissors. I lost the first one so I had to go out and get another.
Scissors will come in handy when you have some unexpected crafts to do for class. If you’re living on campus and you have a kitchen in your dorm, you’ll also definitely need scissors to open your food sometimes.
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve struggled to open things when I lost my scissors. Keep one in your room, and keep the other in your kitchen.
3. Dry erase markers
- Consistent, skip free marking and brilliant color options
- Low odor ink formula erases cleanly and is ideal for classrooms, offices and home offices
- Versatile chisel tip allows for broad or fine writing
- For optimal results, use on non porous surfaces such as porcelain or melamine whiteboards and glass
- Includes: Black, Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Orange, Plum, Turquoise, Light Brown, Purple, Pink and Lime dry erase markers
You probably overlooked this one.
I lived in a residence hall that had study rooms on each floor with dry erase tables (loved them!!). This made my studying more effective because I could draw diagrams and work problems on the table while studying.
They’ll also come in handy when you’re studying in the library. Some private rooms in the library may have whiteboards you can use to help with your studies. Having your own dry erase markers will save you a trip to the front desk to get some.
Lastly, you could also even score some points with your professor if you have a dry erase marker on hand when theirs dries out!
- Robust, professional grade scientific calculator. Logs and antilogs
- It has 2-line display shows entry and calculated result at same time
- Easily handles 1 and 2 variable statistical calculations and three angle modes (degrees, radians, and grads) and scientific and engineering Falsetation modes
- It has 1-year limited warranty
- Solar and battery powered
Whether you’re a quantitative major or not, you’re going to need a calculator.
You’re going to have to take a bunch of general education courses in your freshman and sophomore years of college. It’s highly likely one of them is going to be a math class.
5. Three-hole punch
- ProPunch™ technology for 50% easier hole punching
- Easily three hole punch up to 12 sheets, jam-free
- Sleek, all-metal design for durability
- Integrated ruler & paper guide for precision punching
- Chip tray empties through door & handle locks down for compact storage
If you’re going to be using binders to keep your notes for class, I’d highly recommend getting a three-hole punch.
Instead of stuffing all of your handouts in a separate folder, use the three-hole punch to keep it with your notes.
One of the most important school supplies for college you need to have!
Some professors may actually require that you bring a laptop to every class (I’ve had a few of those). This is because some classes use online programs or websites to store the notes or have tests and quizzes.
Having a laptop is also more convenient because you can get your work done from just about anywhere.
If you don’t have a laptop just yet, you can check your school’s library to see if they have any on hand to lend to students.
7. Laptop bag/case
- External dimensions: 14.5 x 10.5 x 1.5 inches, internal dimensions: 14 x 10 x 1.1 inches; Compatible with 15" MacBook Pro 2016-2020,13.3 inch MacBook Air,Surface Laptop 3 15/Book 3 13.5" 15", HP Stream 14, ASUS VivoBook 15 , HP Pavilion N5000 15.6 inches ,Dell Latitude E7470, 2020 HP 15.6" HD ,Dell Inspiron 13/14,Lenovo IdeaPad/Flex/Yoga 14",Lenovo ThinkPad T-Series,HP Pavilion x360 14 / Spectre x360 13.3",Chromebook Flip C434/ C425,Acer Spin 3,Razer-Blade 15.6",most 13-13.3" Ultrabook Notebook
- Simple but meet your every needs. Slim, portable and lightweight to take alone, or slide it into your briefcase, backpack or any other bag, perfect for business, school or travel
- Made of soft and environmentally friendly materials, this sleeve can protect your tablet/laptop against dust, dirt, scratches and bump/shock
- Extra pocket in front, enough space to keep pens, mobile phone, cables, chargers, power bank etc.
- Sleeve bag can be fully opened at 180°, easily access your tablet/laptop
You’re going to need a durable laptop case for protection.
I wouldn’t recommend just carrying around your laptop without one. Especially if you carry food or liquids in your backpack as well.
This one is great because it’s padded and it’s waterproof.
- 2 horizontal pockets and 2 vertical pockets provide ultimate support to keep papers in place
- Laminated surface is water resistant and protects documents from accidental spills
- 3 hole punched to store in your favorite 5 Star binder. Useful information is printed inside folder, including the periodic table, rulers and conversion charts for quick reference
- Holds 8 1/2 Inches x 11 Inches papers. Trend 6 pack is available in assorted colors, including Teal, Royal Purple, Bright Pink, Lime, Bright Orange and Bright Yellow
I’d recommend getting a few folders to keep extra papers for class, student organizations, and any other extracurricular activities you engage in.
You may also need to store important handouts from programs on campus like study abroad information or scholarship applications.
Having a separate folder for each helps you stay organized and makes your life much easier.
I definitely would not recommend mixing your class notes with other handouts!
9. Mechanical pencils
- MECHANISM: Mechanical
- PENCIL TYPE: Mechanical
- LEAD COLOR(S): Black
Because every other pencil is so….not the move!
These are my all time favorite. They come with extra led, and the eraser is so smooth. Plus, they feel amazing to write with and they’re more stylish.
10. 1″ binders
- Follow your heart with this Amy Tangerine Designer Collection Durable Binder; 3 ring fashion binder is reprinted with the Hatchmark Hearts design
- Make your mark with this sturdy 1 inches durable Avery, binder; holds up to 175 sheets and includes two interior pockets for extra storage
- Your Amy Tangerine binder organizer is ideal for school, home and everyday use; Simply follow your heart
- Customize you cover and spine with free templates at very
I’d highly recommend getting different 1″ binders for each of your classes instead of the one big one.
This is because the bigger ones are very bulky to carry around and they make your backpack heavy. They also force you to carry around notes and other information for classes you may not have that day.
Having the smaller binders for each class allows you to just carry what you need on that day.
- 17 month agenda, runs August 2017 - December 2018
- Contains weekly, monthly and yearly views
- gold elastic closure and gold spiral
- Interior pockers
- 8 7/8"w x 6 3/4"h
One of the most crucial school supplies for college! Like I said in my post on backpack essentials, you’re schedule going to be like a roller coaster.
One minute you’re going to have absolutely nothing due; then have 4 exams and 6 papers due the next week.
Your planner helps you see what your calendar of assignments and events is looking like so you can plan out your work.
- AMAZON EXCLUSIVE PRETTY PASTEL COLORS, Cute Wide Lined school Notebooks for kids, Girls & Boys, kindergarten, preschool, elementary & High School !!
- I Bulk Pack of Six Large Mead single subject Spiral bound Notebooks Wide rule, save and buy a Case by the bulk.
- Soft Paper Spiral ringed with spiral lock to prevent snags; 3-hole punched for use inside a binder
- 6 Multi colored covers Included Light Pink, Light Blue, Purple, Green, Yellow, Orange, 1 Subject Notebook; 70 sheets of double-sided Wide rules paper
- You and your family will Love the Mead Sprial Ring Student Notebook With the new look, These Note Books are A Most have on your school supplies List!!
Of course, you’re going to need notebooks!
I recommend spiral notebooks because they feel lighter and it’s easy to just rip a page out of you need to.
- Vivid yellow shade adds colorful emphasis to highlighted text
- Easy-glide, narrow chisel tip is great for highlighting, underlining or writing notes
- Resists smearing of many pen and marker inks (let ink dry before highlighting)
- User-friendly, quick-drying, and odorless AP certified formula
- Includes: 6 fluorescent yellow highlighters
Highlighters are one of the most crucial school supplies you need for college!
They help you keep your notes organized and focuses on the information that is important.
Having a few colored highlights helps you sort your notes into categories or highlight depending on importance.
14. Sticky notes
- 3 in x 3 in, Dispenser Notes, Marseille Collection
- Always there when you need to capture great ideas.
- Accordion-style notes are specially designed to work in Post-it Note Dispensers.
- Unique adhesive designed for use on paper or in planners.
- Use for notes or reminders to yourself or others.
This is an absolute must-have for college. There are many ways you can use them!
Personally, I’d add them to my planner if I needed to write an extra note where I didn’t have space. I’d also use them for that same purpose in my notes.
I also used them on my bulletin board in my room for all the things I had to do that day/week.
- Bring style to your home or office with our acrylic stapler; this handmade product by OfficeGoods enhances any modern décor
- This cool desk accessory makes a great gift; create a set with a matching tape dispenser, scissors, and pencil holder and other desk accessories. (sold separately).
- This one-hand stapler will sparkle on your desktop or is small enough to fit in a drawer conveniently.
- Using standard staples (not included), you can easily attach 12-15 sheets, while non-skid feet help reduce movement and provide stability.
- Made with heavy acrylic for daily use, measures 5.25" L x 1.25 W x 2.5" H; clean as needed with a damp cloth.
I promise you, you’ll need one.
With all the papers you’re going to write, and projects you’ll have to print out, you’ll definitely need a stapler.
It’s always better to have one on hand in case your classmate or library doesn’t have one available.
The last thing you want is to have to bend the corners of your paper to turn it in because you didn’t have a stapler!
This post showed you 15 must-have school supplies for college. Like it? Share it on Pinterest!
Before you go, don’t miss out on these!
- Dorm Room Ideas | 15 Insanely Cute Dorm Room Ideas to Copy this Year
- How to Write a College Paper and Get an A+ Every Time
- 20+ College Graduation Gift Ideas Your Grad Actually Wants
- Top 15 High School Graduation Gift Ideas for 2019
- 11 Lessons You’ll Learn the Hard Way in College
- 3 Post-Grad Entrepreneurs Give Advice on Life After College
- Everything You Ever Wanted to know about being a Successful in College
- The Ultimate College Shopping & Move-In Day Guide
- 11 Insanely Easy Ways to Save Money in College